Here we sharing Important notes on principle of child development. Hope you like it.
Child development principle
The principle of Child Development:
To identify and depicting growth and development with several patterns and processes are necessary Because it describes which mode and type of development are going on within children. With the help of given child development principles, we can easily identify how children are developing and on which stage they are? And these also help us to predict children’s developmental rates and which order they will follow. Further Study can be done by keeping in mind about individual’s similarities as well as individual differences.
1. Principle of cephalo-caudal
- Development proceeds from head to toe
- 6 to 12 months infants
- coordination of arms before leg
2. Principle of proximal-distal
- Centre to outward
- spinal cord develops first than outer Parts of the body.
Note: These both above principles denotes Direction of Development.
3. The principle of simple to Complex
- Skills related to mental or intellectual abilities and skills related to verbal comprehension are used by the child to solve the problem.
- for example, if the child must learn to classify the object so kite and airplane may be the same for her because they both fly in the sky.
- This type of response is associated with the first level of thinking and based on thoughts existing between the two.
- But on the later stage of learning, they will be able to understand more Complex similarities and differences between these objects.
- For example, they will try to understand that kite and airplane do belong to different categories.
4. The principle of continuous process
- Addition or accumulation or deposition in skills takes place on a continuous basis.
- Regular-continuous deposition in the skills leads to accomplishment of the more difficult task.
- Development of One stage helps in the development of another stage.
- for example, in language development child starts from babbling then proceed further in more accomplishment of the language.
5. The principle of general to specific
- Infants motor movement are very generalized and Undirected.
- firstly Gross/large muscles motor movement development takes place then moving forward to more refined smaller/ fine motor muscles movements.
6. The principle of Individual rates of growth and development
- Everyone is different that’s why their rates too.
- Patterns and Sequences for development are generally same but rates differ.
- That’s why there should be no such notion like the average child because everyone proceeds according to their rates.
- so, we can’t compare two children on the basis of their intellectual development or one child progress with another.
- Along with it rates of development are also not uniform for all children.
How knowledge and understanding of these principles would help you as a teacher??
- Planning of activities to be done in the classroom and outside.
- Will help in producing cognitive effects of experiences for learners.
Factor Influence of heredity and environment
- Nature versus nurture.
- Heredity versus environment.
- Genetic Influences vs Environmental Influences
- Innate/ Inborn qualities vs Personal/ Acquired experiences.
1. Plato and Socrates: Qualities and traits are inborn and they just occur naturally regardless of environmental influences.
2. J. Locke and Tabula Rasa: He suggested mind starts as blank Slate means all we have been formed throughout all years of our life because of our experiences regardless of genetics influence.
But in reality, there is an interaction between genes and environment. Nature and Nurture both affect the development of a person. Main thing if we want to understand the complexity of the living organism (here stands for the human being) is to study Genes, Environment and their interaction mean the interaction between Genes and Environment.
Principle of Child Development
Thanks and Give us your Valuable Feedback